UN suspends aid deliveries in Nigeria after attack on convoy
July 29, 2016 - 10:52 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - The United Nations has temporarily suspended aid deliveries in Nigeria’s north-eastern state of Borno, the former stronghold of jihadists Boko Haram, after a humanitarian convoy was attacked, the UN children’s agency UNICEF said on Thursday, July 28, The Guardian reports.
UNICEF said in a statement that unknown assailants attacked the convoy on Thursday as it returned to Maiduguri from delivering aid in Bama, injuring a UNICEF employee and an International Organization for Migration contractor.
“The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation,” it said.
Nearly a quarter of a million children in Borno suffer from life-threatening malnourishment and around one in five will die if they do not receive treatment, UNICEF said earlier this month.
Médecins Sans Frontières said on Wednesday that severely malnourished children were dying in large numbers in north-east Nigeria, where food supplies are close to running out, The Guardian says.
By 2014, Boko Haram controlled territory around the size of Belgium in north-east Nigeria until most of it was recaptured last year by the Nigerian army and troops from neighboring countries.
More than 15,000 people have been killed and at least 2 million displaced by Boko Haram’s insurgency in Nigeria. The group carries out suicide bombings in north-east Nigeria and neighboring Cameroon, Niger and Chad.
Across a swathe of southern Turkey, people sought temporary shelter and food in freezing winter weather.
The earthquake caused a temporary blackout, damaged many buildings and closed a number of rural roads.
The Prosecutor’s Office has released surveillance footage and said that one of the detainees in the case, Iveri Melashvili.
Destinations welcomed 900m fewer international tourists in January–October when compared with the same period of 2019.
Team launches Speak Up platform to promote transparent practices Team Telecom Armenia has launched the Speak Up platform, the company says in a statement.
Ucom offers a new uDrift 3500 mobile internet tariff In order to join and activate the tariff plan, one should visit one of the Ucom sales and service centers.
Armenia moves to ban foreign currency home loans The National Assembly has approved amendments to the law, which were submitted by lawmaker Gevorg Papoyan from the ruling Civil Contract party.
Armenian serviceman who went missing in fog has been found The serviceman who went missing in the border areas of the southern province of Syunik has been found, the Defense Ministry said on March 2.