November 3, 2020 - 10:39 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - At least three civilians and one attacker were killed and about 15 injured in the attack near the Stadttempel synagogue in the Austrian capital of Vienna on Monday, November 2 night, The Guardian reports.
Here is a breakdown of what happened next:
–Austria’s interior minister, Karl Nehammer, described the attacker as an “Islamist terrorist” and said he believes there was more than one attacker and investigations were continuing. The Austrian chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, described the assaults as a “definitely” terror attack that had been “very professionally” planned. He has called the military onto the streets of Vienna.
– Authorities said at least one gunman remained on the run at 1am Vienna time. He warned the assailants were “heavily armed and dangerous” and urged the public to stay indoors until the all-clear was given.
– 15 people were injured and taken to hospital after the attack that began shortly after 8pm local time on Monday. One of the injured is thought to be a policeman. Seven of the injured were in a serious condition, Vienna’s mayor Michael Ludwig, said.
– The attacks began with volleys of gunfire and the injury and death tolls are expected to rise.
– The dead attacker was shot by police outside St Rupert’s Church, carrying an assault rifle, handguns and ammunition. His body was also found with an explosives vest. Later police said on Twitter that the explosives vest was fake.
–The assaults, by an unknown number of shooters carrying long firearms, occurred at six locations close to Seitenstettengasse in the heart of the Austrian capital.