September 8, 2012 - 12:55 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Lawyers for right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik have confirmed he will not appeal his conviction and sentencing for bombing and shooting attacks in Norway that killed 77 people, Skynews said.
After meeting Breivik in prison, his main lawyer Geir Lippestad said there was "no doubt" the legal process is now over and his prison term would begin at midnight on Friday (0800 AEST Saturday).
The Oslo district court handed down the 21-year sentence on August 24, after convicting Breivik for Norway's worst acts of violence since World War II - a bombing in Oslo and a shooting rampage on the island of Utoya.
Breivik's decision did not come as a surprise. He told the court last month that he would not appeal its ruling.
Lippestad and co-lawyer Vibeke Hein Baera expressed relief that the case had come to an end.
Siv Hallgren, one of the lawyers who represented victims and bereaved at the 10-week trial, said her clients welcomed that there would not be an appeal case, news agency NTB reported.
Trond Henry Blattmann, head of a support group for bereaved, said: "We were pleased with the sentence and hoped it would not be overturned."
The youth wing of the Norwegian Labour Party on Friday unveiled plans to repair and construct new buildings on Utoya, where 69 people were gunned down by Breivik. But it said that in the future no summer camps would be held on July 22 - the day of the rampage.
A building that served as a cafe where 13 youths were shot would be pulled down, while a memorial was planned on the island.