Police hold seven after Brussels counter-terror raids

Police hold seven after Brussels counter-terror raids

PanARMENIAN.Net - Belgian police on Wednesday, January 25 were holding seven people for questioning after raids in the Brussels region as part of an on-going counter-terrorism operation, prosecutors said, according to AFP.

The searches of eight houses were linked to returning jihadi fighters from Syria and separate from investigations into the Islamic State attacks in Paris in November 2015 and the bombings in Brussels in March last year, a statement said.

"No weapons or explosives were found. In all, seven persons were arrested and taken for questioning," it said.

Belgium is the EU country with the highest per capita number of fighters who have gone to wage jihad in Syria and Iraq, a figure estimated at 465.

The authorities have tried for years to clamp down on their recruitment, fearing they will return home battle-hardened and even more dangerous.

Belgium has been on high alert since the Paris and Brussels attacks, with investigators believing they were planned and carried out by the same IS cell based in the Belgian capital.

 Top stories
The Prosecutor’s Office has released surveillance footage and said that one of the detainees in the case, Iveri Melashvili.
Destinations welcomed 900m fewer international tourists in January–October when compared with the same period of 2019.
Austrian authorities said at least one gunman remained on the run at 1am Vienna time on November 3.
Moderna’s proposed price would apply to the United States and other high-income countries.
Partner news